The Yellow Submarine will face Boca Juniors on 2nd August
Villarreal CF will play in one of the most iconic stadiums in world football thanks to the LaLiga. The Yellow Submarine will travel to Argentina to play a special preseason friendly match against Boca Juniors at the Alberto J. Armando Stadium, world-renowned as La Bombonera, on Wednesday 2nd August (time TBC). During this match the Argentinian club will celebrate its most recently achieved 66th league title.
Villarreal CF, in collaboration with LaLiga, plans to carry out a series of events during the two days that the club will be on Argentinian soil in a ddition to the friendly match itself.
Villarreal CF and Club Atlético Boca Juniors have had a special relationship for about two decades now, with the exchange of players that marked a significant era, both at the ‘xeneize’ club and for the ‘groguets’. The first was Diego Cagna, who arrived at the Spanish club from Boca Juniors in the 1999/2000 season. The ‘Flaco’ came to the Yellows when the club was playing in the Second Division and accompanied them to the top tier of Spanish football. After him, talented players such as ‘Vasco’ Arruabarrena, Juan Román Riquelme and Martín Palermo, among others, wore the Villarreal shirt. All players were emblematic footballers for both teams.
The teams have only come head to head once though, and it was on Spanish territory. In 2000, they played a friendly that took place at the El Madrigal Stadium (known today as the Estadio de la Cerámica). The Yellows won that game 5-3.
The commitment that Villarreal assumes with LaLiga in Argentina means the match against Real Zaragoza, for the City of Teruel Trophy, also scheduled for August 2nd, will be played by the Villarreal B team.
Travel Plan for Argentina
The Yellows will depart on a charter flight from Valencia to Buenos Aires on Monday 31st July (11:50pm). The team will return to Spain on a charter flight on 3rd August, after the friendly game at La Bombonera. The team is expected to land in Spain at 6pm.
Villarreal CF’s preseason is as follows:
- Saturday 15th July: Villarreal CF-Villarreal B (Training Ground, 7pm CEST).
- Sunday 16th July to Friday 21st July: preseason stay at El Saler.
- Saturday 22nd July: Nàstic de Tarragona-Villarreal CF (Nou Estadi, 8:00pm CEST).
- Sunday 30th July: Villarreal CF-Levante UD (El Collao de Alcoi, 7pm CET).
- Wednesday 2nd August: Real Zaragoza-Villarreal CF (Municipal Pinilla de Teruel, 7pm CET).
- Sunday 6th August: Inter Milan-Villarreal CF (Estadio Riviera delle Palme de San Benedetto del Tronto, 8:30pm CEST).
- Saturday 12th August: Málaga-Villarreal CF (Semi-finals of the Carranza Trophy in Cádiz).
- Sunday 13th August: Final or third and fourth place of the Carranza Trophy.