In June 1954, after the season had just finished and after a lot of growth and development at the club, the CAF Villarreal Board of Directors decided to change the name of the club to the current: ‘Villarreal CF’. The ‘Mediterráneo’ newspaper wrote the following article:
Villarreal now called Villarreal Club de Fútbol
Having just finished the First Regional Division season, the Club’s Board of Directors have reached an agreement to change the name and thus, once the process is complete, the change will be brought into effect and their new name, which has already been made public, will hereinafter be: “Villarreal C. de F.”. But that does not take anything away from the founders of C. A. Foghetecaz, those truly responsible for the revival of football in Villarreal. In the city’s media we don’t want to overlook the favourable reception and agreement we have had with the aforementioned.— C. V. LL. (6th July 1954).
The brand new Villarreal CF made its debut on Sunday 12th September 1954, in a First Regional Division (Primera Regional) match at the Fornás del Port de Sagunt stadium, drawing 2-2 with Acero. The starting eleven were Bachero, Jorge, Casinos, Almazán, Hervás, Font de Mora, Safont, Mezquita, García Mulet, López and Segarra, it was García Mulet who scored both goals for Villarreal and the Manager was Abelardo Rico.
In the 1955/56 season, they got promoted to the Third Division (Tercera División) for the first time beating Albalat 4-1 in the last game of the season, played on 15th January at El Madrigal. The manager was still Vila-real native Abelardo Rico and the President was Lorenzo Carda Corbató.
The Yellows’ first stint in the nationwide league lasted five seasons, after which they got relegated to the First Regional Division (Primera Regional), a league which they would abandon in the 1966/67 season again under the management of Abelardo Rico. Promotion came after a decisive win at Los Silos de Burjassot with a 0-1 victory and a goal from Vilar.