Villarreal say goodbye to the Copa del Rey
Villarreal say goodbye to the Copa del Rey

The Yellows fall to a fighting CD Mirandés at Anduva (4-2)

Villarreal have been knocked out of the Copa del Rey, after losing in the quarter-finals to CD Mirandés at Anduva (4-2). The Yellows’ goals came from Javi Ontiveros and Santi Cazorla, who scored from the penalty spot.

It was a tough tie at Anduva from the start. In the first 45 minutes, Mirandés showed a high level of intensity and stop Villarreal from playing their football. The pitch, in a poor condition, also made it harder for Javi Calleja’s side.

In the 17th minute, Mirandés were already ahead on the scoreboard, making the most of an error in defense by the visitors. Matheus beat Andrés Fernández with a low shot to his near post.

After the opening goal, the Yellows were under the cosh at Anduva. The home team were looking for the second goal, with the Yellows were able to defend the dangerous attacks well.

With half an hour gone, it was level again, with Villarreal taking their chance. From a free-kick, in the 32nd minute, Ontiveros stepped up and produced a missile which flew into the back of the net. An unstoppable way of evening things up on the scoreboard.

When the first half was set to end, referee De Burgos Bengoetxea was told by his colleagues in the VAR room to revise a possible handball by Xavi Quintillà. The lightest of touches by the left-back with his arm was enough for the referee to point to the spot. Merquelanz stepped up to beat Andrés Fernández and make it 2-1. It was once again a blow for the Yellows.

The Submarine had 45 minutes to turn the tie around and reach the Copa del Rey semi-finals. With no time to lose, the Yellows pushed forward and threw everything at the draw.

In the 57th minute, with no need to go to VAR, De Burgos Bengoetxea gave a penalty and Cazorla levelled things up. The happiness was short lived for Calleja’s men. From a  free-kick, through Odei, Mirandés scored their third of the night.

The Submarine pushed forward, with Paco Alcácer and Moi Gómez being brought on by Javi Calleja. However, the Yellows were unable to create any real chances.

In added-time, Mirandes got a fourth to end Villarreal’s cup dreams.


CD Mirandés: Limones; Alexander González, Odei, Sergio González, Franquesa (Kijera, m. 85); Malsa, A. Sánchez, Merquelanz, Álvaro Peña (Guridi, m. 66), Álvaro Rey; Matheus (Marcos, m. 78).

Villarreal CF: Andrés Fdez.; Mario Gaspar, Sofian R. (R. Peña, m. 45), Funes Mori, Quintillà; Iborra, Anguissa (Moi Gómez, m. 70), S. Cazorla; Chukwueze (Paco Alcácer m. 64), J. Ontiveros; Gerard.

Goals: 1-0. Min. 17: Matheus. 1-1. Min. 32: J. Ontiveros. 2-1. Min. 45: Merquelanz (p). 2-2. Min. 55: S. Cazorla (p). 3-2. Min. 85: Onaindia. 4-2. Min. 91: A. Sánchez.

Referee: De Burgos Bengoetxea. Booked: Iborra, Sofian R., Mario Gaspar, Chukwueze, S. Cazorla (Vilarreal).

Matchday information: Match between CD Mirandés and Villarreal CF corresponding to the Copa del Rey quarter-finals at Anduva.