Villarreal CF have unveiled the transformation project of the stadium, which will be ready for the centenary year
The big transformation of the Estadio de la Cerámica is now reality. Villarreal CF have presented this Wednesday the project for the refurbishment of the Yellows stadium, which will be managed by renowned and prestigious international engineering and architecture company IDOM, and local construction company Alviben. The presentation ceremony, which took place at the El Ceramista restaurant, was hosted by Villarreal CF president Fernando Roig, Vila-real mayor José Benlloch, and César Azcárate, IDOM representative.
The Estadio de la Cerámica, a modern and cutting-edge stadium
Villarreal CF will carry out in 2022, and in the season of the club’s centenary, the biggest transformation that the Estadio de la Cerámica has seen, an important step for the Yellows, with an exciting, ambitious and sustainable project. The metamorphosis of the new stadium will give the stadium an architectural unity, improve the experience for fans at the stadium and will give an incomparable atmosphere to the Estadio de la Cerámica to enjoy incredible moments.
With the reform, the Estadio de la Cerámica will have the following new features:
- The construction of a new stand in the corner, between Preferencia and Fondo Sur, completely closing the stadium.
- A roof covering all of the seats in the stadium.
- The new covering will be able to host all infrastructures for television broadcasts and will improve the experience of the fans, with two new 21x7m scoreboards (300m2 of screens), a spectacular sound system, new LED lighting and the installation of the Sky-Cam.
- The creation of new interior function spaces: a function room in the Fondo Sur with views over the pitch and the square outside, the remodellation of the Entrelíneas Restaurant and a new Villarreal CF museum.
- The commitment to renewable energies, with the installation of photovoltaic panels on the roof for the the stadium to be self-sufficient.
- Changing every seat at the Estadio de la Cerámica.
The time period for the reform: from 16th May until the end of December 2022
The reformation will officially start on Monday 16th May, after the celebration of the last home match of this season. The works will finish at the end of December and Villarreal CF will play their first match at home in the newly-transformed Estadio de la Cerámica after the end of the FIFA World Cup in Qatar, which will be Matchday 15 of LaLiga, between 29th and 31st December 2022.
Due to the works, Villarreal CF will ask LaLiga to play the highest amount of games possible away from home at the start of the season. Until the reforms finish, the Yellows will play their home games at the Ciutat de València. The club would like to thank Levante UD for lending us their stadium.
An estimated budget of 35 million Euros
The transformation of the Estadio de la Cerámica will have a estimated budget of 35 million Euros. Villarreal CF will make an important economic investment, despite the difficulties and the current supply crisis, to modernise their stadium and offer the best experience possible for its fans in the club’s centenary season. An important pass in the evolution that the club has been experiencing season after season since Fernando Roig’s arrival.
The works will need 2,400 tonnes of steel, 12,900 metres for the roof, 8,700m of ceramic façade and 4,400m of micropiles.
The Estadio de la Cerámica capacity stays at 22,000 spectators
The Estadio de la Cerámica will keep the same capacity. The transformation may include the construction of a new seated area between the Preferencia and Fondo Sur stands but the stadium will keep a capacity of 22,000.