The Villarreal B team will participate, for the fourth consecutive season, in the Premier League International Cup. Javi Calleja’s side will take part in the prestigious tournament with hopes of going very far. In fact, just two seasons ago, the Villarreal B team were champions of the tournament as they beat PSV Eindhoven in the final.
The objective of the U23 Premier League International Cup is to encourage and enrich youth football on British soil by providing a superior training experience with the inclusion of teams from the strongest European leagues. The Premier League has chosen 12 English teams and 12 European clubs, with a distinguished Reserve team tradition, to participate and among those is Villarreal CF.
On this occasion, Villarreal U23 have been drawn into Group F of the competition alongside SL Benfica, Tottenham Hotspur and West Ham United. The Villarreal B team will make their debut in this season’s competition in an exciting encounter against West Ham United U23 that will be played on Wednesday 6th September.
The groups for the 2017/18 competition are:
- Group A: Sparta Praha, Liverpool, Newcastle United and PSV Eindhoven.
- Group B: Hertha BSC, Legia Warsaw, Leicester City and Sunderland.
- Group C: Derby County, GNK Dinamo Zagreb, Everton and VfL Wolfsburg.
- Group D: Athletic Club Bilbao, Celtic FC, Manchester United and Swansea City.
- Group E: Arsenal, FC Bayern Munich, FC Porto and Reading.
- Group F: Villarreal B, SL Benfica, Tottenham Hotspur and West Ham United.
The Yellows fixtures in Group F are as follows (time in Spain):
- Wednesday 20th September: Villarreal U23-SL Benfica U23 (8pm CEST, Neutral Venue TBC).
- Wednesday 4th October: West Ham United U23-Villarreal U23 (8pm CEST, Dagenham & Redbridge).
- Tuesday 14th November: Tottenham Hotspur U23-Villarreal U23 (8pm CEST, Stevenage FC).