Villarreal CF and Real Madrid CF face each other on Thursday 16th July at the Alfredo di Stéfano Stadium at the Real Madrid City in Valdebebas (9pm CEST, live on LaLigaTV in Spain) on Matchday 37, the penultimate matchday, of this season's LaLiga Santander.
Ahead of the match, the following statistics stand out:
- In the last four league matches between Real Madrid and Villarreal, each team has scored at least two goals in each game, with one win for Real Madrid and three draws.
- Villarreal have won two of their three visits to teams in Madrid in LaLiga this season (one defeat), and have never won three games in the region in the same season in the top flight.
- The Yellows have won their last four away games in LaLiga, three of them without conceding a goal, and they have never won five away games in a row in the top tier of Spanish football.
- The Yellow Submarine have scored three of their last five away goals in LaLiga from the penalty spot, one from Gerard Moreno and two from Santi Cazorla, after having scored just two of their last 20 away goals from the spot.
- Only Raúl García (Athletic Club) has scored more LaLiga goals since the return of the league in June (six) and the Real Madrid players Sergio Ramos and Karim Benzema and Villarreal's Gerard Moreno (five each).
- Gerard Moreno, Villarreal forward, has been directly involved in three goals in his last two LaLiga games against Real Madrid, scoring two goals and providing an assist.
- Villarreal head coach Javi Calleja's only win against Real Madrid in his last four league games (two draws, one defeat) was at the Santiago Bernabéu, a 0-1 victory over a Los Blancos side manager by Zinedine Zidane.