Pau Torres and Andrei Ratiu are the two Villarreal players who will take part in Tokyo 2020 with their countries
Villarreal CF will be represented in the Olympic Games in Tokyo! A total of five athletes sponsored by the Yellows through the Endavant Esports project will be in action in Japan. Yellows footballers Pau Torres and Andrei Ratiu will also take part in the games, with Spain and Romania respectively, while new Villarreal Women signing Pancha Lara will represent Chile. These are the athletes who will take the name of Villarreal to Japan:
- Pablo Herrera (beach volleyball). This event will take place from 24th July to 7th August.
- Pablo Torrijos (triple jump). The men’s triple jump will start on 3rd August and will end on 5th August.
- Lidón Muñoz (swimming). The different swimming events take place from 24th July to 1st August.
- Sebastián Mora (track cycling). The track cycling events take place from 2nd to 8th August.
- Ariadna Edo (adapted swimming). The Paralympic Games will get underway on 24th August.
- Pau Torres. The football competition will take place from 21st July to 7th August.
- Andrei Ratiu. The football competition will take place from 21st July to 7th August.
- Pancha Lara. The football competition will take place from 21st July to 7th August
Villarreal CF sponsor some clubs and athletes from the province of Castellón, with the aim of helping develop and encourage elite sport in the province. The initiative began with Pablo Herrera, after he won the silver medal in beach volleyball at the 2004 Olympics in Athens. Despite the uncertainty surrounding the sporting world at the start of the 2020/21 season, Villarreal inverted more than 700,000 Euros in this sponsorship project.